Yoga, the age-old discipline of physical, mental and spiritual practices, is so much more than just performing a lot of asanas. In addition to teaching you to muscle your way through a particular pose, it also teaches you to navigate your way through any challenge that life may throw at you. Yoga Teacher Training Courses (YTTC) are not like any other academic or skill development training courses. These courses positively impact your mind, body and soul and are thereby ‘life-changing’ in every way. You will hear nobody says that they’re the same person before and after pursuing a YTTC. It changes you for the good and pushes you to become the best version of yourself.
However, to ensure that the Yoga Teacher Training Course (YTTC) you choose for yourself unfolds all the magnificent things you’re looking forward to, it is very important that you take into consideration the 6 things listed below –
- Accreditation by Yoga Alliance®: Yoga Alliance® is the largest non-profit association representing the yoga community which upholds the world-wide growth of Yoga. They have about 83,117 Registered Yoga Teachers (RYT®) and more than 7,231 Registered Yoga Schools (RYS®) as of June 2019. A course being accredited by Yoga Alliance® will ensure its qualitative standards is up to the mark and would also serve the benefit of possessing a certification that is universally recognized.
- Course Curriculum: YTTC curriculum mainly comprises of two parts – theoretical and practical knowledge. Theory elucidates yoga philosophy, yoga anatomy, pranayama, and meditation while practical knowledge sheds light on the technicalities involved for self-practice as well as teaching yoga. It is highly recommended that you go through the course curriculum, research what a typical day of training would look like, and shortlist a course which is a perfect blend of both – theory and practice.
- Teaching Faculty: It is of utmost importance for you to know your trainer, connect to their teaching style and look up to him/her as you will be devoting a big chunk of your time and self to your trainer for shaping you. If you intend to be a trainer yourself, then your source of inspiration will largely impact your performance as a trainer unto others. Learning yoga from an experienced and passionate trainer may change your entire outlook towards the practice of yoga.
- Class Strength: While deciding upon a YTTC, do not forget to enquire about the class strength. This factor, often overlooked by many, as they end up enrolling for courses which have a huge class strength, results in lack of personal attention. Inquire about the number of students per class and preferably opt for those which involve small or medium-sized groups as this will not only help you build a personal bond with your trainer but also enhance your learning experience.
- Course Fee: While conducting your research, you may notice that the course fees for the same course offered by different institutes may vary drastically. This is generally because of two factors – the quality of education and the facilities provided by the institute. It is advisable to check up on these factors, understand if the cost is justified before you make a decision.
- Alumni Experiences: Lastly, study online reviews on the course and the institute, check out alumni testimonials and if possible, try and connect to the alumni of a particular course to learn about their experience in-depth thus helping you set a seal on your final choice.